An Expert Comparison of Popcorn Ceiling Removal
Acoustic ceilings, better known to most people as popcorn ceilings, became popular in the late 1950s. Builders liked them because they were easy, inexpensive and hid imperfections. The ceilings were also designed to improve room’s acoustics by reducing echoes and ambient sounds.
Needless to say, popcorn ceilings have since fallen out of fashion. Today’s homeowners and buyers view them as an eyesore. Popcorn ceilings make a home feel old and dated, even if other aspects of the home have undergone renovation.
How Much Does Popcorn Ceiling Removal Cost?
Budget anywhere from about $300 to $800 per room to hire a professional. That may sound expensive, but the job is highly labor intensive. Budget on the low end of that range for a small bedroom and the high end for a large living room.
Popcorn Ceiling Removal Pros
- Modern look – Removing popcorn ceilings does wonders for modernizing your home. Even though you probably don’t much spend time staring at the ceilings, you’ll be amazed at the difference before and after. You’re home will look lighter, brighter and larger.
- Better resale value – Modern buyers are turned off by popcorn ceilings. Some may decide not to purchase the home simply for that reason, while others will try to negotiate a lower purchase price. Removing popcorn ceilings boosts your home’s resale value and increases the likelihood of a quick sale.
Popcorn Ceiling Removal Cons
- Can be expensive – Hiring a professional to remove popcorn ceilings throughout your home can get pricey. If you’re on a tight budget, consider having just a few rooms done at a time.
- Labor intensive – Some homeowners decide to take this on as a do-it-yourself project, but the process is very difficult and time consuming. Plan on spending at least several days on the project.
- Asbestos – Many popcorn ceilings contain asbestos, which makes the removal process hazardous and more difficult. Be sure to test for the presence of asbestos before beginning the project yourself.