Quick Summary: Folding Glass Patio Door Installation Prices
Accordion-style doors are expensive. They cost about $700 to $1,000 per linear square foot on average, which may or may not include installation, depending on the supplier. For a 12-foot opening, that works out to $8,400 to $12,000.
Accordion-style patio doors make the outdoors an extension of your home. They are typically used to open up an entire side of a living room, dining room or kitchen to the patio or deck outside. Glass doors cover the length of the wall when closed and then fold up to completely to one or both sides when open.
Benefits of Installing an Accordion-Style Patio Door
Accordion-style doors are ideal for people who:
- Have a view – Living mountain front or beachside? In a high-rise penthouse with a patio and skyline views? Chances are you want the view to be the focal point of your indoor space. Accordion doors leave the view nearly unobstructed.
- Live in a warm climate – Most people who live in warm or tropical climates want to enjoy the outdoors. Folding patio doors make the outdoors an extension of your living space, allowing you to take advantage of the weather.
- Love to entertain – Is your home the go-to spot for summer barbecues and cocktail parties? Folding accordion doors create a striking – and functional – entertainment space. Guest can easily mingle from inside to out.
- Have limited space – This might sound surprising, given the cost. But folding accordion doors are becoming popular for making small spaces look larger. Some people opt for accordion-style doors instead of a larger floor plan to build an eco-friendly home; others choose accordion doors over building an addition.
- Love the outdoors – This is a given, but people who love the outdoors and enjoy nature are more likely to invest in accordion doors.
Try Our Free Sliding Door Quote Request Tool
Tell us some details about your needs and get connected to pre-screened companies in your area. Compare free price quotes from multiple companies and save time and money instantly! No obligations to hire or purchase ever!
Find a Sliding Door Pro >>
Accordion-style doors aren’t for everyone, of course. If your house is in need of major renovation, they’re probably not your first project. If your backyard borders a strip mall, you probably don’t want to highlight that. The high cost is also a barrier.
Additional Cost Information
A lot more than size goes into the pricing of an accordion-style door. Factors that also influence the cost include:
- Materials – The frames can be made of wood, fiberglass, steel or aluminum. The glass can be standard, tinted, insulated, low-emissivity (prevents floors and furniture from fading without blocking light), mirrored, decorative and more. Screens cost extra, as do certain types of hardware.
- Climate – If you live in a cooler climate, you’ll need extra insulation to make the doors energy efficient. If you live in a very sunny climate, you’ll probably want to spring for low-emissivity (or low-E) or tinted glass.
- Local labor rates – If you live in a high-cost area and the installation is not included, you could spend thousands more to have the door put it. Even in lower-cost regions, installation can be expensive.
For a better estimate, try using online cost calculators like this one from Euro-Wall. The tool puts together an estimate based on the features you choose. However, keep in mind that it’s always best to get several quotes to compare prices.
Author: Ashley Smith